The Options program provides in-home services to individuals who are living independently but having difficulty with activities of daily living (such as bathing, dressing and grooming) and do not have the resources to pay privately for help at home. Older adults may be required to pay a portion of the cost, depending upon their income.
After receiving a referral, an Office of Aging care manager will complete a home visit to determine the areas of need and develop a care plan to meet those needs. The Office of Aging contracts with home care and other organizations to provide the services.
- 60 years of age or over
- Reside in Lancaster County in a non-institutional setting
- Have a physical, mental or emotional disability that requires assistance in order to remain living independently in their home
- Lack adequate informal support from family or others
Verify financial information such as income and assets in order to determine cost-sharing
Mandatory Waiver Application for NFCE Consumers
All applicants for Options services who have been determined to be Nursing Facility Clinically Eligible (NFCE) are required to apply for the MA Waiver program (officially called MA Long-Term Services and Supports, or MA LTSS). Waiver provides more appropriate services to meet the intensive medical needs of NFCE consumers, and does so using MA funds. This saves limited Aging Block Grant funds for those who are not eligible for other sources.
The Office of Aging refers these individuals to an Independent Enrollment Broker to complete the MA Waiver application. Consumers who do not want to apply for Waiver services will not be eligible to receive services through Options unless they agree to pay 100% of the cost of their Options services.
- Personal Care: bathing, dressing, grooming
- Home-delivered Meals: if older adult is unable to attend Senior Center for meals, unable to drive, and has no one who can cook for them
- Personal Emergency Response System (PERS): if older adult has a history of falls and lives alone
- Grocery Shopping: if the older adult is unable to drive and has no one able to do this
- Laundry: if the older adult cannot do this and has no one able to do it
- Adult Day Services: for older adults with functional impairments who require supervision